Saturday, February 7, 2015

Inspiration

201 Days. That's how long I have officially been a father.

How do I know? I have an app for that. Everyday, it ticks up the days, hours, minutes, seconds of my daughters life.



And before you ask, no, my wife did not implant it secretly into my phone without my knowledge, only to use it as a weapon against me in a far-off fight. "Well, how old is your daughter? ... You don't know?? I put it in your phone!!" No, this was a self-imposed action. I never want to forget my daughters birthday. More so, I find it interesting to see the details of it.

You know how everyone says that they experience time differently? Example: it's busy at work, they say things like, "Wow! Where did the time go?" or "That went fast!" ... I have not that problem. I experience each moment, each agonizing second, the exact same. Waiting for a special event like a birthday or wedding does not come easy for me.

If I have purchased a gift for someone, I tend to give them that gift early. Last year, for my wife's birthday, which mind you is in November, I gave her a gift somewhere in mid-June. For my child's birth, which was expected on August 15th, I gave my wife a charm for her bracelet in November. THE YEAR BEFORE. I suck at giving gifts.

For the past 201 days, I have soaked in, learned, experienced, been impassioned, and overall been all encompassed by what has become my true little bundle of joy, Corinne. (Pronounced Cor-In).

Somewhere along the line, it was suggested I start to write these musings down. Perhaps, if I collect them, someday, somewhere, someone might learn from the little quips that flow from my mind like water freely from the river of inspiration that is my daughter. Or, at best, someone might laugh when I remark how when she stares at me with those cold but inviting eyes, it's like I'm a word find she intently goes over, looking for that one flaw that she can highlight and yell "Huzzah! I have found it! Now Knell Before Your Word-Finding Queen!" Then, after she has zeroed-in with laser-beam intensity, she flips the switch and begins anew on her teddy bear, as if she had not proclaimed her royalty.

The one thing she has given me that I would like to share though is inspiration. My plan is to write every couple of days. If I write a post 3 days a week, I'd be impressed. Just little isms of what it's like to be a father. I'll be writing about my wife, Rebecca, and the rest of our extended family. I hope I do not offend, but offer a view into what a real life situation is for a late-20-something/early-30-something, lower-middle-class family raising their first kid.

Over time, I hope I can show some of these collected works to my daughter and inspire her the same way she inspires me.

No comments:

Post a Comment