Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Can't Raise A Kid Without Cracking a Few Goose Eggs

This morning, I was watching the kid by myself. Mom was at work. I had a few things to take care of by myself in the room of rest. Yep, that's right, the Browns FINALLY made the Super (toilet) Bowl. And, as any parent should be able to tell you, there's a time and a place you just need to be alone.

Cori was content watching TV on the couch and sucking on her teething wand. I had the Boppy turned in to hold her there. I had Boozer, the nurse dog, on the couch watching her. AND I had Colee, the protector dog, watching him on the floor. I HAD A SYSTEM! It was in place! The ONE thing that could go wrong, (yes, I'm being facetious,) did. (Seriously facetious.) (Ironically, Seriously Facetious.) (This whole article.) (Just keep reading.)

The Kid decided she was ready to crawl. Her booties were made for crawling. Crawl she did, right off the couch. Mid-ploop, I hear, "(giggle giggle). (dog panic running away). (THUD). Waaaaaaaa!" ... Ahhhh Shatner.

Yep, that happened. She hit the side of her head on floor. BUT! I did know what to do!
A couple of New Years ...es ago, I knocked my melon on a steel beam while I was jumping from a hot tub to a pool. NO ONE thought about bringing me ice. (Yes, it's their not thinking that I am blaming.) (I can not remember if they ever did give me ice. But, I did find out I can time travel. I just need a shit ton of booze and a steel beam. Ooooor just the booze.) UPDATE: My wife just read this that said that I went to lay down on the cold bathroom floor. I laid longways in a hallway shaped water closet. She couldn't open the door apparently to get me. Then, I went back into the hot tub and finished my beer. Didn't remember.

With this knowledge, I jumped into action! I got some ice, and Tylenol. (Target brand equivalent.) After a good 5 minutes of just letting it go, she finally calmed down. That's when I noticed the size of the goose egg that grew out of the side of her head.

That got me thinking, you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs. I tried to word the title like that, however cracking a few skulls and kids in the same sentence didn't really go that well. (However, I added in here anyway! HA! Sensibilities be damned!)

It's so true! Kids get bumped, bruised, and sometimes bloody. That's how they learn. That's how we learn! You think I'm going to trust the doggy body guards again? Hell n...maybe. ... Actually...

When I was a kid, I remember my father telling me not to put my hand on the stove. What did I do? I put my hand on that damn stove! And yes, it did burn like Hell. And yes, I did have it wrapped for several days. So what did I do? I put my hand on the stove again, just to make sure that it was not just that one time that I would be burned. I learned from that mistake. Twice, but I did learn.

The fact that they WILL get hurt, one way or the other, isn't what to focus on. It's the knowing what to do to focus on. And how do we find out what to do?

Ever hear, "Learn from the past?" We know what to do from experiences we've had in the past. OR from experiences that other's have had. OR just Google it. Someone probably blogged about it. ;)

Just remember, you can't raise a kid without cracking a few goose eggs. And, you can't make a good omelette without using a 1/2 tbsp of garlic and a good amount of Gruyere cheese. (Seriously.)

No comments:

Post a Comment